top of page

What is RIDDOR

What is RIDDOR?

RIDDOR is the law that requires employers, and other people in control of work premises, to report and keep records of:

  • work-related accidents which cause death;

  • work-related accidents which cause certain serious injuries (reportable injuries);

  • diagnosed cases of certain industrial diseases; and

  • certain ‘dangerous occurrences’ (incidents with the potential to cause harm).

Work-related accidents

For the purposes of RIDDOR, an accident is a separate, identifiable, unintended incident that causes physical injury. This specifically includes acts of non- consensual violence to people at work.

Not all accidents need to be reported, a RIDDOR report is required only when:

  • the accident is work-related; and

  • it results in an injury of a type which is reportable (as listed under ‘Types of reportable injuries’).

Reportable occupational diseases

Employers and self-employed people must report diagnoses of certain occupational diseases, where these are likely to have been caused or made worse by their work. These diseases include (regulations 8 and 9):

  • carpal tunnel syndrome;

  • severe cramp of the hand or forearm;

  • occupational dermatitis;

  • hand-arm vibration syndrome;

  • occupational asthma;

  • tendonitis or tenosynovitis of the hand or forearm;

  • any occupational cancer;

  • any disease attributed to an occupational exposure to a biological agent.

In addition, under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR), you must report any cases of legionellosis in an employee who has worked on cooling towers or hot and cold water systems that are likely to be contaminated with legionella.

You must keep a record of:

  • any accident, occupational disease or dangerous occurrence which requires reporting under RIDDOR; and

  • any other occupational accident causing injuries that result in a worker being away from work or incapacitated for more than three consecutive days (not counting the day of the accident but including any weekends or other rest days). You do not have to report over-three-day injuries, unless the incapacitation period goes on to exceed seven days.

If you are an employer who has to keep an accident book, the record you make in this will be enough.

You must produce RIDDOR records when asked by HSE, local authority or ORR inspectors. ​

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page